With the adoption of remote working, employees have gotten used to working from home and not being in an office space for long hours. This has worked well for many and according to McKinsey research, 80% of people reported that they enjoy working from home, 41% say that they are more productive than they had been before and 28% said that they are as productive.
Having established the positive sentiment around the WFH model, with the COVID-19 restrictions slowly being lifted, organisations are eager to see their employees return to the office full time or in the hybrid format. Employees, after working from home for almost 2 years, might need time to readjust to working from the office. In this scenario, it would be crucial for team leaders and peers to be mindful of the impact that COVID-19 has had on everyone’s lives, both professionally and personally, and work towards creating an even stronger culture that is welcoming for their employees.
In the ‘new normal’, soft skills such as kindness, empathy, resilience, ethical behavior, and other positive character traits are important to become an “ideal” teammate and leader.
Here are five courses on Coursera professionals can enroll for, taking a step towards building a stronger connection with their peers.
- Teamwork Skills: Communicating Effectively in Groups by University of Colorado Boulder
- Adaptability and Resiliency by University of California, Davis
- Life After COVID-19: Get Ready for our Post-Pandemic Future by University of California, Davis
- High Stakes Leadership: Leading in Times of Crisis by University of Michigan
- Inspiring and Motivating Individuals by University of Michigan