Anish Singh Thakur, CEO at Booming Bulls Academy is an experienced Stock Marketer with a demonstrated history of working in the financial services industry. Skilled in Business Meetings, Customer Relationship Management (CRM), IT Strategy, Team Building, and Management. Strong business development professional graduated from the Central Board of Secondary Education.
These are some relevant questions that every individual has before they start investing or trading. Well, investment or trading is essential to managing money to ensure future financial security. Indians have opted for traditional investment options like fixed deposits, recurring deposits, gold, etc. However, today, these investment options do not incur as good returns as stocks. And to invest in stocks, you need a Demat account.
Opening the Demat account is the first step towards the investment journey in the stock market. But some people do not know how to take this first step? What is a Demat account, and how do you open it? A Demat account is a dematerialized account used for keeping financial securities like stocks, bonds, etc., in electronic form. In India, two depository organizations – National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL) and Central Depository Services Limited (CDSL) maintain Demat accounts. There are three types of Demat accounts:
Regular Demat Account: It is for Indian residents who want to hold securities.
Repatriable Demat Account: As the term indicates, it is for non-resident Indians interested in investing in Indian securities. Opening this Demat account requires an NRE (Non-Resident External) bank account.
Non-Repatriable Demat Account: The account for non-resident Indians, but it requires an NRO (Non-Resident Ordinary) account.
How to open a Demat Account?
- The first step is to open a Demat account is choosing your broker. You need to select a SEBI registered broker with a valid registration number.
- Secondly, visit the broker’s website and register using your phone number linked to your Aadhar.
- Next, you will be asked to fill in the necessary information like your Email Id, PAN Number, Aadhar Number, Occupation, Date of Birth, etc.
- Upload your PAN Card, Aadhar card, cancelled cheque, signature, income proof.
- Following this, fill in your bank details to link them with the account.
- You will receive an OTP for verification, which you will write on paper and hold in front of the Webcam.
- After verification, you will have to e-sign the application form. Once email verification is done, you will be redirected to the NSDL page. Here you have to provide a 12-digit Aadhar number. After that, confirm the OTP received on the Aadhar registered mobile number.
- Once this is done, the application form will open with the e-sign option. Click on the e-sign option, and the account opening process will be completed.
- After completing this process, you will receive login and ID credentials in your mail after the verification process. It will also have instructions on logging in to the broker’s app.
Once you have a Demat account, you need to start investing after researching building your portfolio.